In 2004 during ULGA’s Annual General meeting, then Uganda Local Authorities’ Association (ULAA), in Mbarara District, and having recognized the need for a stronger National Association of Local Governments that could ably lobby and advocate on behalf of its members, it was resolved that all Local Governments’ Associate bodies that work towards the strengthening of LGs and in particular the Policy of Decentralization for better and improved service delivery, become affiliates of ULAA.
It was then that bodies such as ALGAOU and UDICOSA agreed to become affiliates to ULAA, which marked the birth of Uganda Local Governments’ Association (ULGA) to take care of this function in a wider context. Since then ULGA has been working closely with Chief Administrative Officers, Speakers and Chief Finance Officers.
ASSOCIATION OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS OF UGANDA (ALGAOU)
The Association of Local Governments Administrative Officers of Uganda (ALGAoU) was formed in April 1998 with the following objectives:
- To provide and create an institutional framework in which to pursue and safeguard professional aspirations and interests such as career development and collective bargaining.
- To enhance the spirit of discipline, self respect efficiency and effectiveness.
- To create and sustain a tradition of providing field administrators with an opportunity of sharing and exchanging ideas and experiences in Public Administration.
- To foster professionalism in Public Administration in Uganda Local Governments and in particular to develop an increasing appreciation of the value and importance of Public Administration.
- To advance the study of techniques and problems of Public Administration through research and other methods.
- To promote the adoption of more effective uniform administrative management systems and practices through comparative studies and exchange of information in the field of Public Administration both externally and internally.
- To foster affiliation and maintain liaison with National and International Organisations interested in the progress of Public Administration and Management.
The Association has a Constitution that provides for methods for pursuing the above objectives, membership and fellowship, institutional organs, offices of the Association and their duties, sources of revenues for the Association, Rules, and the manner in which the Association can be dissolved if need be.
At their Annual General Meeting held on 6th-7th July 2011 at Pretoria Hotel in Mbale district, the Association elected a new executive committee and below are the office bearers:
- Mr. Dunstan Balaba Chairperson/ CAO Adjumani
- Ms.Rose Adong Luhoni Vice Chairperson/ CAO Kiboga
- Mr. David Naluwayiro Treasurer / CAO Wakiso
- Mr. Nicholas Ocakara Secretary /CAO Mubende
- Mr.Abdallah Musobya Kiganda Northern Region / CAO Gulu
- Mr. Steven Ouma Karamoja Region/ CAO Moroto
- Mr. Ben Otim Eastern Region /CAO Jinja
- Mr. James Nkata Central Region / CAO Rakai
- Mr. George Ntulume Western Region/ CAO Hoima
UGANDA DISTRICT COUNCIL SPEAKERS ASSOCIATION (UDICOSA)
UDICOSA was formed in 1998 by a group of Speakers and Deputy Speakers from all districts in Uganda to achieve and lobby for district speakers specific issues that could not be handled jointly.
The Association has a constitution and during their Annual General Meeting held in Kiboga District on 12th April 2010, the members resolved that UDICOSA become an affiliate body to ULGA. It has an executive committee of 12 members representing regions and five representatives to the ULGA executive. Membership is the District Speaker and Deputy Speaker and each region has two representatives.
The Association’s Annual General Meeting held on 14th October 2013 at Mbarara District Council Hall ushered in a new executive committee whose members are:
Hon.Andrew Odongo Chairperson / Speaker Soroti
Hon..Efrance Nakiguli Vice Chairperson/ Speaker Mubende
Hon.Sylivia Rwabogo Secretary /Deputy Speaker Kabarole
Hon.Asiimwe Jane Treasurer /Deputy Speaker Kasese
Hon.Joe Walusimbi Speaker Lwengo
Hon.Olivia Nankunda Mpunga Speaker Gomba
Hon.Geoffrey Oguti Speaker Kitgum
Hon.Gilbert Akuma Speaker Maracha
Hon.Ronald Businge Kyomuhendo Speaker Masindi
Hon.Gerald Twebaze Speaker Kamwenge
Hon.Ceaser Lometa Speaker Moroto
Hon.Alfred Oyollo Balliangas Speaker Abim
Hon.Meresi Mudenga Speaker Sironko
Hon.Mohammed Nkwanga Speaker Bugiri