The department is headed by the Manager Membership Services and institutional development Ms Kalege Josephine
The manager is supported by Mr. Charles Musoke the Training & Capacity Building Officer, Ms. Eva Arinaitwe the Public Relations and Communications officer, Mr. Byaruhanga Robert the Resource Mobilisation Officer, Mr. Ivan Ssekajiija the Information Techinical Assistant and Mr. Badru Kato the Records Assistant.
The department was birthed out of the realization that there was need for member satisfaction through improved and targeted services as well a strong institution particularly the structure and processes for effective and efficient delivery of the services to its members .In effect the members would be satisfied with the services received from the association and therefore will be motivated to participate and make their financial contribution/subscriptions as stipulated within the membership policy.
Purpose; To plan, implement, coordinate and account for ULGA’s membership services and institutional development in line with the ULGA’S cooperate strategic objectives.
- Development and monitoring of ULGA’s membership policy. Specifically spearhead and account for membership recruitment, growth and servicing, track membership satisfaction and compliance with the policy requirements and provide periodic feedback on ULGA’s membership adherence to the membership policy. The department therefore carries out activities such as information development and dissemination about membership services through a membership services catalogue, membership satisfaction surveys for feedback, and other related needs assessments and mapping.
- Develop and lead the implementation of and accounting for ULGA’s membership capacity building strategy. This is through assessment of the membership capacity gaps and laying of strategies for establishing and implementing interventions to bridge the identified capacity gaps. The department therefore undertakes direct capacity building initiatives such as training, exposure visits to other local government within and the country and out of the country. Link with training institutions for tailor made trainings in specific areas among others.
- Raise financial resources to support the delivery of services to members. The department is responsible for identification of and establishment of partnerships that can support capacity building activities for ULGA members. It is on this backdrop that the department monitors and supports the delivery and compliance to partner requirement of ongoing projects for sustainable.
- The department identifies viable opportunities for paid up services that the members can benefit from and link them to the local government consulting group ( LGCG) –The Local government consulting group is ULGA’s technical arm on local government development, that is positioned to offer quality paid up services to the members. The range of services offered include legal services, technical capacity services, surveys /research evaluations
- Support the functioning of the ULGA’s institutional systems including structures, staff and processes. The department takes implements initiatives that support the functioning of the various structures including the Executive committee the ethics and accountability committee and the secretariat in the same to effectively deliver on their mandates.
- To provide professional and technical services to members and the Secretariat in interpretation of laws and regulations, drafting and filing legal documents, provision of legal advice, and Alternative Dispute Resolution services to members.
- Review upcoming bills and other relevant documents to ensure that local governments’ interests are protected, develop position papers and present them to the relevant stakeholders
- To ensure that Local Governments and the ULGA Secretariat observe the Rule of Law, comply with and adhere to the Legal Procedural Requirements in Execution of their Legal Mandates
- Implementing or overseeing implementation of capacity building programs, evaluating and reporting on results and/or impact of capacity building programs to ensure that they address the needs and add value to the recipients so as to improve their capacity to execute their mandated functions more efficiently and effectively.